10.13.2008

Anthem Essay Contest

This morning during the announcements at school they were listing off names of different scholarships avaliable for application in the school guidence office. The only one avaliable for my age bracket was an essay contest of the book Anthem by Ayn Rand, a female writer of the 30's and 40's. The book, Anthem, is mainly a collection of poems. Ruth Alexander, a Libertarian lecturer said Anthem is "Tender and terrific- the greatest novel I have ever read, and I have covered the literary water front in seven languages. You will think- you will weep- you will be inspired to new determination not to let the creeping evil of collectivism happen here."

Interesting.

The grand prize of first is %2000, five second prizes worth $500, ten third prizes $200, forty-five finalists $50, and lastly $30 for semifinalists. Even though I am competing for who knows how many high school freshman and sophmores the odds of gaining at least a little cash is inevtiable.

However, though this is all tempting and personally exciting for myself I will keep my heart open to any misconcpetions that may be found in Anthem. I will keep a constant lookout for anything that may be the opposite of God and His Word.

Though I am hopefull for this essay.



N.P. Reed

No comments: